Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake is delicious lemon cake loaded with fresh blueberries, lemon cream cheese filling, streusel crumb topping, and finished off with a sweet glaze. This is the best recipe for easy and absolutely delicious dessert, perfect for spring and summer baking.
If you are fun of lemon-blueberry flavour combo, check my Lemon Blueberry Muffins, Bread or Blondies. These are all perfect for snack, dessert or even breakfast. If you need a pretty looking treat for special occasion, then try Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Cake or Blueberry Lemon Lasagna.
Easy Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
This cake is dense, but so soft and moist, with many delicious layersAlthough it has sweet and tangy lemon cream cheese filling in the center, it’s totally acceptable for breakfast instead of muffins. But it’s also very satisfying dessert that will impress your guests. This cake stays good for a few days. It also travels well and can easily be made in advance and frozen!
However, this cake is basically a twist on my easy Lemon Blueberry Muffins. Lemon blueberry cake mixture is ready for a few minutes, just like the simple muffin batter. There’s no need for creaming the butter, beating the eggs and making a ton of dirty dishes.
Lemon Juice and zest, but also a lemon extract add tangy, fruity, lemony flavour. It balanced perfectly with a lot of juicy blueberries and sweet cream cheese filling.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- To make the crumble topping: Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, dash of salt and melted butter until crumbly.
- Lemon blueberry cake batter: In a large bowl, mix together oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon extract, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest, until fully combined. Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt, then fold in the blueberries. You should toss blueberries with a little flour to prevent sinking in the bottom of the cake.
- To make the cream cheese filling: Mix together cream cheese, sugar, egg, and lemon extract until smooth.
- To assemble the cake: Spread a half of the cake batter into a springform pan lined with parchment paper, then spread the cream cheese filling in the center, but don’t go all the way to the edges to prevent burning. Top with the remaining cake batter, sprinkle the crumb topping and more blueberries over the top, and bake until the center is set.
- The glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice (or milk), then drizzle over the cooled cake and serve.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake is delicious lemon cake loaded with fresh blueberries, lemon cream cheese filling, streusel crumb topping, and finished off with a sweet glaze.
Streusel Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- dash of salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter-melted
- 1/3 cup blueberries
Lemon Blueberry Cake Mixture:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs+1 egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon flour (to toss the blueberries)
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 10 oz. cream cheese-room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 –2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (or milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease 9 or 10-inches springform pan with baking spray, line the bottom with parchment paper, and set aside.
- To make the crumb topping, stir together flour, sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Add melted butter and whisk with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make the cream cheese filling, mix softened cream cheese, sugar, lemon extract, and egg white just to combine. Set aside.
- To make the lemon blueberry cake mixture whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix oil, sugar and eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon extract for about 2 minutes. Add sour cream and lemon juice and mix just to combine. Running your mixer on low, mix in dry ingredients.
- Toss blueberries with about 1 ½ Tablespoons flour and fold into the cake mixture, gently, using a rubber spatula.
- To assemble the cake, spread about ½ half of cake mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Using a spoon dollop the cream cheese mixture over the cake layer, but do not go all the way to the edges. Using the back of the spoon, gently smooth the top. Cover cream cheese filling with cake mixture. The cake batter is thick so it is the best to dollop over the top, and gently spread using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle streusel crumbs on top and ½ cup of blueberries.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 70-90 minutes or until the center has set. Tent the top loosely with aluminium foil if it starts browning too much.
- Cool completely in the pan, then remove the ring from the springform pan and transfer on a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Stir powdered sugar with lemon juice (or milk). Start with 1 teaspoon of the juice and gradually add more until desired consistency has reached. Drizzle over the cake and serve.