Apricot chicken is savory, sweet and tangy, reminiscent of your favorite Chinese takeout dish.
Apricot preserves and Russian dressing are the secret ingredients in the sauce that you simply mix up, and pour over the chicken before putting it in the oven.Pin this recipe for later!
Why We Love This Apricot Chicken Recipe
- Only 5 Minutes to Prep! – Just mix up the sauce and pour over the chicken breasts.
- 10 Ingredients – Only 10 ingredients including salt and pepper!
- Sweet and Savory – The apricot preserves make the best sauce for both the chicken and to be poured over rice.
You only need 10 ingredients (including salt and pepper!) to make this super flavorful apricot chicken recipe.
- Chicken Breasts – You want to use boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Pat them dry before seasoning, but don’t rinse or wash them.
- Apricot Preserves – I like to use apricot preserves since they have chunks of apricots, but you can also swap in apricot jam.
- Russian Dressing – This creamy and tangy dressing is reddish-orange in color. It’s similar to Thousand Island and is often used as a condiment for salads, sandwiches, and burgers.
- Dijon Mustard
- Yellow Onion – You can swap in white onion as well. Another option is to use a packet of onion soup mix – if you do this, then reduce the added salt.
- Minced Garlic – Fresh minced is best, but you can also use the pre-minced garlic in a jar. Or you can use 1 teaspoon granulated garlic.
- Spices – Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, and Pepper
- Soy Sauce – Opt for low sodium so you can control the salt content of the final dish.
How To Make Apricot Chicken
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and less than 25 minutes to cook! Family-friendly dinner in 30 minutes!
Chicken – Season the chicken and arrange in a baking dish.
Sauce – Whisk the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken.
Bake – Bake at 400℉ for about 20 minutes.
Serve – Serve with rice and sprinkle with sliced green onion.
This recipe can also be made using chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The recipe steps remain the same but the cook time may vary slightly. Thighs will take longer to cook, while tenders will cook quickly.
This recipe can easily be adjusted to be gluten free. The only ingredient that can contain gluten is the dressing, so make sure to use one that is gluten free.
Different Cooking Methods
You can cook this chicken in the oven as directed in the recipe below, or in the slow cooker, instant pot or even on the grill.
Baked – This is the method I’ll include in the recipe card. It’s the one I make the most and the one I think works the best. Tender, juicy chicken and a sweet, sticky sauce.
Slow Cooker – To make in a slow cooker, place all ingredients in the insert and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
Instant Pot – If using an Instant Pot, select the sauté function to heat some oil, then brown the chicken pieces on both sides in the pot. Remove them add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until they are softened and fragrant. Add the sauce ingredients to the pot and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pot, coat well, then close the lid, set the valve to the sealing position, and cook on high pressure for around 8-10 minutes, followed by a natural release for 5 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
On the Grill – The sweetness of the sauce pairs wonderfully with the smokiness of the grill. Grill your chicken as you normally would (350-400℉ for about 3-4 minutes per side). After flipping the chicken the first time, brush the grilled side with the glaze and close the lid. The sauce will get nice and sticky as the chicken continues to cook.
Make Ahead and Storage
Leftovers: Store leftover chicken in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or freeze in a plastic freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Reheating: Reheat leftovers in a saute pan on the stove top over low heat, or microwave in 30 second increments.
Make Ahead: Prep the chicken and sauce in the morning to make for dinner that night. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bake as directed, adding 5-10 minutes to the baking time.
Make Ahead and Freeze: Add the chicken breasts to a freezer bag with the apricot sauce and press the air out so the bag is flat. Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw the bag in the fridge for 24 hours before baking.
- Dressing – French or Catalina dressing can be used in place of the Russian Dressing.
- Slow Cooker Version – To make in a slow cooker, place all ingredients in the insert and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
- Baking Dish Size – The chicken will cook faster in a 9×13” dish than it will in a 2qt baking dish due to the larger surface area.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below. Or, tag us on social media @yellowblissroad or #yellowblissroad for a chance to be featured.
Preheat oven to 400℉ and position a rack in the center of the oven. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Trim the chicken of any excess fat, season with salt and pepper, place in baking dish.
Whisk together sauce ingredients and pour enough over the chicken to almost completely cover it.
Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165℉ when an instant read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breast. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately over rice, garnished with sliced green onion.
Calories: 592kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 39gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 12gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1196mgPotassium: 813mgFiber: 1gSugar: 36gVitamin A: 347IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.