Skip the drive-thru, and instead make these Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwiches! They can be traditionally fried or air fried, whichever you prefer. No matter which way you whip them up, you’re going to love this spot-on copycat recipe!
What’s in a Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich?
I hate when copycat recipes don’t actually taste like the real thing. You won’t have to worry about that here, though! These copycat sandwiches are just like the ones at Chick Fil A and are available on Sunday! What’s not to love?!
- Chicken Breasts: I like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use thighs.
- Milk, Dill Pickle Juice & Lemon Juice: Make up the marinade for the chicken. In place of the milk and lemon juice, you could use buttermilk.
- Egg: Helps the coating to stick to the chicken.
- Flour: Forms the coating for the chicken.
- Powdered Sugar: Adds a bit of sweetness to the coating without adding grittiness.
- Seasonings: Salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder make up the perfect seasoning blend.
- Peanut Oil: The perfect oil for frying. If air frying, you can use a peanut oil cooking spray or brush the chicken with peanut oil.
- Hamburger Buns: The classic bread for this type of fried chicken sandwich.
- Dill Pickle Slices: The perfect topping for these sandwiches.
- Sauce: Make a homemade Chick Fil A sauce with a combination of mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, honey, yellow mustard, and lemon juice!
Chick Fil A Spicy Chicken Sandwich
You love the classic Chick Fil A sandwich, so why not make it spicy? Add some cayenne powder to the seasonings and sauce for a spicy kick!
I prefer to make these with chicken breasts as they cook quicker than thighs and they stay nice and juicy. If you use thighs, it’s better to use thin cuts to make sure they cook all the way through.
You can turn these into spicy chicken sandwiches pretty easily! For the chicken seasonings, add cayenne powder. For the sauce, add either cayenne powder or a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce.
I don’t recommend making these sandwiches too far ahead of time, as I don’t recommend doing that for any fried food. Fried food of any kind is best served when first made. If you wait too long, the fried chicken could lose its crispy texture.
If you’re a little nervous that the chicken may not be cooked through all the way, use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. If it reads at least 165°F, the chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat.
How to Store and Reheat a Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich
I always recommend storing the chicken, buns, and toppings separately. Store the crispy chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through, then assemble the sandwiches as desired.
How to Freeze a Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich
I do not recommend freezing chicken sandwiches whole; however, you can absolutely freeze the fried chicken. Place the chicken in an airtight container to freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich
These Chick Fil A sandwiches go so well with all kinds of side dishes. Pair them with fast-food classics, like french fries or potato wedges, creamed corn, coleslaw, pickles, mac and cheese, or a biscuit. Or, opt for something different like pickle chips, tater tots, cucumber tomato salad, corn on the cob, ranch chicken pasta salad, or zucchini fries.
Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich Recipe (Fried or Air Fried)
Picture this – it’s a Sunday afternoon, and all you’re craving is your favorite fried chicken sandwich from Chick Fil A. What are you to do?! Make this easy copycat recipe, of course!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Marinade Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 sandwiches
For the Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce
For the Chicken
Place chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and set on a cutting board. Use a meat mallet to pound them to ½-inch thickness.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
In a large plastic zipper bag, add ½ cup milk, pickle juice, and lemon juice. Seal and shake, then add chicken. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Drain well.
1½ cups milk, ½ cup dill pickle juice, ¼ cup lemon juice
In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the remaining milk and the egg. In a clean plastic zipper bag, combine flour, sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Seal and shake well.
1 large egg, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon ground paprika, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Place the chicken in the bag and shake to coat. Dredge each piece through the egg-milk mixture, then return it to the bag and coat well. Shake the excess flour off of each piece and allow them to rest on a metal cooling rack.
Heat 1 cup peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
AIR FRYING INSTRUCTIONS
Spray the inside of an air fryer basket with cooking oil, then preheat it to 350°F.
Place chicken in a single layer inside the air fryer basket, working in batches if needed. Lightly spray the chicken with cooking oil.
Air fry the chicken for 6 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken, spray with additional cooking oil, and fry for 6 more minutes.
Increase the temperature of the air fryer to 400°F. Continue cooking for 8 minutes, until the chicken is crispy and 165°F internally.
For the Sauce
Use a whisk or fork to mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
¼ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Place a piece of chicken on each bun. Top with sauce, pickles, and any other toppings you desire.
4 hamburger buns, Dill pickle slices
- Don’t cook the chicken for too long in the oil, or you’re going to have greasy chicken sandwiches!
- While the traditional frying method is delicious, the air fryer method is also great, especially if you’re looking for a bit of a healthier option.
- Remember to pound the chicken not matter what, or it won’t cook evenly and the middle may be raw while the outside it burned.
- Nutritional information is for 1 fried chicken sandwich.
Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich Recipe (Fried or Air Fried)
Amount Per Serving (1 sandwich)
Calories 659 Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Trans Fat 0.04g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Vitamin A 565IU11%
Vitamin C 8mg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.