Blueberry Cheesecake Cake is easy cake recipe that starts with cake mix doctored up with blueberry puree and fresh blueberries. Layers of blueberry cake and blueberry cheesecake filled with delicious cream cheese buttercream frosting is perfect dessert for blueberry lovers. If you love blueberry-lemon combo, then try this Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Cake, too.
Blueberry Cheesecake and Blueberry Cake
If you are blueberry lover and can’t decide what to make, Blueberry cheesecake or Blueberry Cake, you can have them both packed into one amazing dessert. And of course blueberry cake can’t goes without cream cheese frosting. Actually, it’s cream cheese buttercream frosting, to be exact.
This cake bursting with blueberry flavor. It has blueberries in cake layers and in cheesecake as well.
How To Make Blueberry Cake?
This blueberry cake layers are super simple to make. This recipe uses box cake mix, but no one could tell. Cake mix is doctored up with blueberries. First you should add blueberry puree instead of water listed on the box.
Pulse blueberries and water in a food processor. Place cake mix in a large mixing bowl, add eggs, oil and blueberry puree. Mix for 2 minutes, then fold in about 1 ½ cup fresh blueberries. Divide the mixture in two 8 inches cake pans greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before assembling the cake.
How To Make Blueberry Cheesecake?
While the cake layers are baking you can prepare cheesecake mixture.
Beat softened cream cheese, vanilla and sugar and corn starch until smooth. Then add eggs and mix just to combine. Finally fold in blueberries and spread the mixture in 8 inch springform pan. Bake about 60-70 minutes or until the center has set.
Making the cake doesn’t require a lot of active time, but you have to plan ahead, because it need a lot of time to chill. It’s the best to bake the cheesecake and cake layers day before, then make the frosting and assemble the next day.
Blueberry Cheesecake Cake is easy cake recipe that starts with cake mix doctored up with blueberry puree and fresh blueberries. Layers of blueberry cake and blueberry cheesecake filled with delicious cream cheese buttercream frosting is perfect dessert for blueberry lovers.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box vanilla or white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup thawed blueberries for puree + water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- pink food coloring -optional
- 24 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs-slightly beaten with a fork
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- 12 oz. full-fat brick style cream cheese- softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter-softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 –4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest-optional
- fresh blueberries-for garnish
To Make the Blueberry Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease two 8-inches round cake pans with baking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place 1 cup frozen blueberries (I used thawed blueberries, not fresh for more intense colour) in measuring jug and cover with water to 1 ¼ cup mark and let them sit until thaw. Transfer into food processor and pulse.
- In a large mixing bowl place cake mix, oil, eggs and blueberry puree. Mix for 2 minutes. You can add a few drops of gel food coloring for more intense purple colour.
- Fold in 1 cup fresh blueberries and divide the mixture equally into prepared pans. Bake about 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To Make Blueberry Cheesecake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease 8 inch springform pan with baking spray and line he bottom with parchment paper. Wrap the pan in aluminium foil and set aside.
- Beat softened cream cheese with vanilla, sugar and corn starch until smooth.
- Add eggs and mix to combine. Scrape the bottom with the spatula as needed.
- Fold in fresh blueberries and pour the mixture into springform pan, smooth the top and bake about 50-60 minutes or until the center has set. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside with the door crack open for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool to a room temperature, then chill in the fridge 4 hours or overnight.
To Make the Frosting:
- Mix the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until no lumps remain. Do not over beat before the sugar was added or may end up with a runny frosting.
- Add vanilla, salt and lemon zest(if using) and mix until combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until desired sweetness and thickness is reached. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat until smooth.
Assembling the Cake:
- Place one layer of cake onto serving plate and top with thin layer of cream cheese frosting. Place blueberry cheesecake layer and top with thin layer of frosting. Finally, top with second cake layer and frost cake with remaining frosting. Decorate as desired. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before cutting or else the cake may fall apart as you cut.
- Store in the fridge.
You can make the cake layers and cheesecake layer a day ahead. Cool completely to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. The next day make the frosting and assemble the cake.