We live in an imperfect world. However, many health gurus implore us to adopt perfectly healthy habits. We’re supposed to get an hour of exercise a day (at least), take cold showers, and eat nothing but quinoa, greens and berries. Unfortunately, like in the real world doesn’t always facilitate that. You might be able to do it if you’re billionaire Bryan Johnson, but it isn’t always possible for the regular person.
The good news is that trying to attain a 100 per cent perfect regimen is neither necessary nor desirable. Sure, you’ll see results, but the price you pay will be tremendous. That’s why more people are embracing the 80/20 rule for health. Instead of aiming for unrealistic perfection and feeling burned out, they’re doing the things that have the most impact while shunning the rest.
80/20 Rule For Health In Practice
But what does applying the 80/20 rule for health look like in practice? Here are some examples:
- Going to the vape shop instead of buying your usual pack of cigarettes
- Eating healthy during the week and then splurging on a meal with friends at the weekend
- Skipping a workout if you feel tired but not beating yourself up about it or calling yourself a lazy person
- Taking a cold shower once a month instead of once a week like the online health gurus
- Allowing your body time to rest if you’re feeling a little less than energetic
- Going to bed early and getting up early instead of going to bed late and getting up late, even if you don’t get the recommended 8 hours of shut-eye
Why Embrace The 80/20 Rule For Health?
We’ve already hinted at why you should embrace the 80/20 rule for health, but let’s make it a little more concrete. Here’s why we think it’s such a great idea:
It’s More Sustainable
Trying to be perfect all the time is exhausting and nobody can sustain it. Eventually, everyone cracks.
Fortunately, when you allow a little leeway in your approach to health, it changes your perspective. Sure, you’re not doing everything perfectly, but you are still improving your health and making progress by doing the right things when it counts.
It’s More Balanced
The 80/20 rule for health also feels more balanced. Most of the time you exercise and eat right, but sometimes, perhaps at the weekend, you go out with friends and eat something you shouldn’t. It’s all perfectly acceptable when you follow this approach.
It Helps You Ease Into A Healthier Lifestyle
Another reason to embrace the 80/20 rule is that it helps you slide into a healthier lifestyle. Making massive changes upfront can be challenging because it rips you away from your old routines and habits. But going 80 per cent of the way there helps you feel a connection to your past.
So, there you have it: some of the reasons for embracing the 80/20 rule. Which will you adopt? Let us know!