Creamy stovetop Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is an easy weeknight dinner and a game day favorite. Made with spicy buffalo sauce, tender pasta, chicken and 3 kinds of cheese, this recipe is a sure winner!
- Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes.
- 3 kinds of cheese for maximum creaminess.
- Easy to customize and control the heat.
- It’s like Buffalo Chicken Dip with noodles!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Boil water and cook macaroni noodles.
- Melt butter and cook flour in a large pot.
- Add milk and cream, bring to a simmer.
- Season and stir in buffalo sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- Stir in pasta and chicken.
- Serve as desired, garnished with sliced green onions and blue cheese crumbles or drizzled with Ranch dressing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the longer it sits, the spicier it will get.
How to Reheat Mac and Cheese
Having leftovers is a wonderful thing, especially when you get a serious comfort food craving late at night. But reheating mac and cheese can be tricky, so I’ve got a couple of tips.
- Low and slow. Whether you are reheating macaroni and cheese on the stovetop or in the microwave, do so on a very low heat setting and take your time. This will allow the cheese sauce to come up to temperature slowly and will prevent the sauce from separating into a greasy, clumpy mess.
- Add liquid. One of the biggest reasons cheese sauce separates during reheating is because it’s dry. Adding a bit of liquid will keep the sauce smooth as it heats. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk, half and half or heavy cream to keep the cheese sauce luscious and creamy. Your Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese will thank you!
- I like using macaroni, but any small cut pasta will work.
- Shred the cheese from a block rather than using pre-shredded cheeses. It will melt and taste much better.
- The heat can easily be adjusted based on your flavor preferences. If you are concerned it may be too hot, add less in the beginning and add more as desired.
- This dish is best served immediately. To prepare an hour or two in advance, keep warm in a slow cooker and omit any garnishes.
- For extra flair, garnish with panko breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- For a meatless option, omit the chicken for a delicious buffalo mac and cheese.
Try These Mac and Cheese Recipes Next
- 1/2 pound Macaroni about 2 ½ cups dry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups nonfat milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup buffalo sauce more or less depending on taste
- 2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken breast
- Salt & pepper to taste
Boil 4-6 quarts of water in a large pot. Add a tablespoon of kosher salt and pour in uncooked pasta. Cook until al dente, according to package directions.
Drain pasta into a large colander and set aside.
Add butter to the pot over medium-low heat and melt. Stir in flour and cook for several minutes, stirring often, until golden brown.
Meanwhile, pour milk and cream into a microwave safe glass bowl and heat for 2 minutes. (Alternatively, heat milk in a small saucepan on the stove until hot, not boiling). Pour milk/cream mixture into the flour mixture and stir often, bringing to a simmer while it thickens. You will know it’s done when the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper and dry mustard. Remove from heat and add cheeses, stirring constantly until completely melted. Stir in buffalo hot sauce.
Stir pasta and chicken into the buffalo cheese sauce. Divide into bowls and serve hot.
If desired, garnish with blue cheese crumbles and drizzle with ranch dressing.
Calories: 607kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 32gFat: 37gSaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 1087mgPotassium: 370mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1274IUCalcium: 419mgIron: 2mg